EACOM Timber Corporation
Project: SAP Solution Migration
Major Eastern Canadian wood products company
- EACOM operates in the manufacturing, marketing and distribution of lumber and wood-based value-added products, and the management of forest resources.
- Owning seven sawmills totalizing approximately 900 million board feet of lumber, EACOM employs 800 workers.
- In 2010, EACOM acquired Domtar Forest Products Division. This acquisition is in part at the origin of the project.
Goals and Opportunities
The project objective was the upgrade of the management system
- Migrate the no longer supported SAP solution to its up-to-date version.
- Move the physical platform to a hosted solution.
- Change the database for a more recent version.
- Update the outdated IT equipment which was endangering operations.
Following the acquisition of the Domtar Forest Products Division, an analysis was performed in order to determine if the company should migrate its existing SAP solution or proceed with the implementation of a competing solution.
Once established that it was preferable to maintain the SAP ERP solution, EACOM issued a request for proposal to find a unique partner for all its SAP needs.
The Createch Group was selected thanks to the quality of its response, the team’s expertise and its professionalism. As the firm offers a “one-stop-shop” for hosting, project delivery as well as maintenance and support, it was an obvious choice.
Several elements to migrate
- SAP solution upgrade (SAP ERP 4.6C to SAP ECC 6.0 EhP7)
- Change of database (MaxDB to Sybase)
- Migration to a virtual environment hosted at Bell Canada
- Data warehouse migration (SAP BW 3.0 to SAP NetWeaver 7.4)
- Implementation and configuration of SAP Solution Manager
A reassured company
- The technological update allowed EACOM to be on the leading edge.
- Compliance with latest regulations
- The presence of Bell, sole shareholder of The Createch Group is a reassuring element for EACOM.
- Data security
- The company now has a disaster recovery plan
Mobility on the horizon
In continuity with the 2015 efforts, EACOM considers to add a bar-code system for order entry as well as a Web and mobile version of its SAP solution. These improvements would facilitate inventory management and make the job of mobile workers easier.
“Our team is very satisfied with The Createch Group’s work. Thanks to the technical expertise and professionalism of its consultants, we are now equipped with a disaster recovery plan. We are confident; The Createch Group’s experts provide us security and continuity for our company.”
EACOM Timber Corporation