Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC)
Project: Implementation of SAP ECC 6.0
Municipality Service for the Province of Ontario
- MPAC was created by the Ontario Provincial Government to provide an independent property assessment and valuation service for land tax calculation purposes for Ontario Municipalities.
- With approx. 1,700 employees MPAC is headquartered in Pickering, Ontario with an additional 43 field locations located throughout the Province of Ontario.
- The primary objectives were to implement a modern, integrated enterprise wide solution that would not add to the level of responsibility placed upon their internal IT support team.
- MPAC was using older software that’s processes were outdated and lacked integration. Satellite Excel-based systems surrounded the core solutions to make up for lack of functionality and these had started to play a key role in the business processes, yet, were disconnected and difficult to maintain.
- The Createch Group was chosen because of their delivery experiences in mid-sized organizations and association with Bell Canada, an already trusted vendor. The SAP software solution was selected because of its functionality and pedigree in the public sector.
A Successful 10-month Implementation
- Implementation of the SAP ECC 6.0 project was completed on-time and under budget; the 10 month project went live on January 4, 2010. The first phase included Finance, Procurement, HR, MM and Payroll.
- Additional Finance, Fixed Assets and HR modules were implemented during the balance of 2010.
- MPAC continues to roll out additional SAP functionality including; Learning Solution (LSO) and Business & Planning Consolidation (BPC).
- During 2010 there was a major re-negotiation of MPAC’s union agreements. This process was supported by the SAP system and the new changes were incorporated into the system with minimal issues.
- In Ontario HST came into effect during 2010, with the SAP system, this new tax process was easily handled and had minimal impact on the MPAC Finance team.
- MPAC noted that the auditing process, which is a key Provincial requirement, has significantly improved since the implementation of the SAP system.